Monday, 21 January 2013

Comfort Food


Ok so it's cold and snowy here in the UK, schools closed, roads blocked, rail delays, panic buying n the supermarkets. You get the picture typical British stiff upper lip LOL!
Anyway stuck indoors not much in the cupboard needing comforting cake, this my friends is the perfect recipe.
It's been in my family forever and here it is as written by me in my little recipe book when I was about 10 years old!


That's it the whole recipe, told you it was easy.
Want to see.
First make some tea, any tea leave to cool add fruit and sugar stir and leave to soak overnight.

Next day, beat in the eggs (I always make double the recipe)


Next add the flour 


mix well


Pour into the tins and cook.


Enjoy the gorgeous smell and after about 1 1/2 hours.
Hey Presto!


Scrummy delicious Tea loaf.



Just the best family cake, good still warm with a smear of butter, great for packed lunches, and if any lasts long enough you can even toast it!
The best thing about this cake is that you can use any sugar, brown or white, any selection of fruit and no wholemeal flour, no problem just use all white. Different teas give their own flavour I really like using Red Bush or Raspberry, it's a very forgiving cake.
Have a go, your family will love you forever I guarantee it!!!
here's the recipe.

Tea Loaf

8oz mixed fruit
½ pint of tea leave to cool
8oz soft brown sugar
1 egg
8oz self raising flour
2oz wholemeal flour
Make the tea and when brewed pour over the fruit and sugar, leave to soak overnight.
Next day beat in the egg add the flours and mix together until soft.
Pre heat oven to Gas mark 3 ½  or  170°C
Pour into a greased lined loaf tin and cook for 1 ½ hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
Turn out onto cooling rack, once cool store in a tin. Serve sliced with a butter or just plain. 
Delicious.



Have a good week.
I'll be back with a Bedroom update later in the week.
Love
♥Sue♥


4 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds yammie! How great you still have that recipe book, and if that was written when you were 10 years old, you had a beautiful handwriting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, I was doing my very best handwriting because it was a special book!x

      Delete
  2. Mmmm I love the look of your recipe and will give it a go when I do some baking later this week :) In the meantime, stay warm and snuggly indoors with your yummy cake and a cuppa x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo so glad you're going to give it a try, makes snuggling indoors well worth it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my ramblings and comment on them! I love to read all your thoughts and messages, they really inspire me and encourage me to continue my crafting adventures!