Thursday, 22 November 2012

Spinning Delight!


It's alright we can relax. 
I DID IT!
Dyed my merino without turning it into felt.

I had a read of this tutorial which was full of excellent advice and armed with the mantra
'do not agitate' 
I set to it.
Still a bit stressful though.
So here's what I did.

Here's my merino all weighed out.


Into the sink to soak. This was hard because I just left it to soak and didn't push it into the water, it took ages to soak up the water. 
There is water under that roving!
Oh and it was lukewarm.


The wool is naturally water resistant.


While that was happening I made up my dye solution.
This is the fun part it reminds me of painting when I was a little girl the
 magic of discovering new colours.


A splash of red in there too.


Oooooo lovely



Into the pot, this pot is perfect it's big and fairly shallow.
I forgot to photograph it but I made sure the water in the pot was the same temperature as the water the roving was soaked in...........I used a thermometer, oh yes taking NO chances.


I left the roving soaking for about an hour, it could probably have been left for longer, but hey i needed to get on!



So very carefully I placed it all into the pot. 
I didn't touch it again, I didn't even breath on it.
No felt in my pot thank you very much!



The water was heated really slowly, then on with the lid.
And wait. After twenty minutes or so I turned off the heat.
Then just waited, didn't touch it, didn't even peek. 




Bit tricky waiting. so tense, what was in there beautiful yarn or felt?
I had to go out!
 A nice long walk along the seafront.



Seven miles of blustery fresh air, gorgeous.
And back home the pot all cooled down and ready to rinse.
LOOOOOOK
at that!!!!!!


Out with the thermometer to make sure the rinsing water was the same as the dye pot water.
Gentle, gentle.
 Stunning colour.


NO FELT!
I laid it onto a towel and gently squeezed out most of the water, then laid it out to dry flat.



Once just damp I put it out in the sunshine to air.
Doesn't it look amazing, so soft and snuggly.
I was so relieved.
I've learnt alot from this dyeing process, you can't hurry the process and agitation is a crime against yarn!
I feel more confident about future dyeing endeavours. 



So here it is all spun and ready to finish.
I'm one happy lady!



I think this will be turned into a beautiful soft scarf for my Lovely Man.
See you soon
Love
♥Sue♥






6 comments:

  1. Fantastic job Sue! Look forward to the lovely finished article :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love the colours you have dyed the yarn! Well done you....now I just need to see what you are going to make with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed every time with what you can make to spin. The colours look beautiful once you've spun it - you have vision!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this. I too have endless trouble dyeing merino and rarely do so without felting it somewhere! Will try your approach of No Agitation Whatsoever...and No means No!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh be brave Edith, good luck, let me know how it all goes!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my ramblings and comment on them! I love to read all your thoughts and messages, they really inspire me and encourage me to continue my crafting adventures!